CODE TO REGISTER: pdx
The Product Development Exchange @ George Brown College is pleased to offer this half day workshop in co-operation with Gowling WLG. This free workshop is offered to innovators and entrepreneurs who wish to learn more about the basics of Intellectual Property Law and how it affects their organization.
Please see Morning Agenda outlined below. Snacks and lunch are provided.
Afternoon sessions are available for participants who wish to meet individually with Gowlings Legal Team to discuss specific questions. Additionally, the George Brown PDX team is available to meet individually to discuss design and protoyping assistance available through the college and tour facilities.
These 30 minute discussion slots are limited and may be booked in advance.
Please contact Arbab Khan 416.415.5000×3508, email@example.com .
9:00-9:30am – Coffee
9:30-10:45am – Introduction to IP, specifically patents
- What is IP? Introduce Concepts of Copyright, Trade Marks, Industrial Designs and Patents (e.g. scope of protection, etc.)
- What is patentable? Discuss patentability requirements (novelty/obviousness, utility, statutory subject-matter and exclusions with several examples)
- What is a patent? Discuss aspects of patent application at a high level (e.g. role of description, claims)
- How do you obtain a patent? Discuss patent process (from idea to issuance), filing in various jurisdictions
10:45-11:00am – Break
11:00am-12:15pm – IP Considerations
- Identifying potential inventions: discuss internal procedures, patent programs
- Should you file a patent application? Discuss pre-filing considerations (what is the state of art?, what are your competitors doing?, keep as trade secret? etc.), benefits of a patent, etc.
- Where should you file a patent application? Discuss filing considerations – where are your customers? manufacturers? competitors?
- How useful is a patent? Discuss uses of patents (offensive, defensive, attracting investments)
- Protecting your IP: Discuss identification of inventors, retaining IP, NDAs, etc.
- Is your business in good order? Discuss importance of shareholder agreements, should you incorporate?, joint ownership v. patent licensing, SRED credits
- Jamie: Discuss capabilities of George Brown lab for designing prototypes; how companies/inventors can access government funding, etc.
12:15-1pm – Lunch
12:30-5:00pm – Workshops