Whether you want to start a business, or you’re already operating a business, you’re bound to come across legal questions: Do I need to incorporate? Should I trademark my name? Are contracts really that important? How do I prepare proper invoices? What should I do when leasing space for my business? Educating yourself and knowing the answers to these questions is important to the operation of your business. Get these questions and more answered on December 18th, 2018 at the Enterprise Toronto Legal Bootcamp.
With this seminar, we will offer answers to many of these legal questions and more. Participants will gain a better understanding of general legal concepts as well as a strong ability to identify legal issues before they become real problems. We will review:
- Business Structures: Choosing between incorporation, partnership, and sole proprietorship.
- Contracts: Identifying key terms and provisions.
- Shareholders Agreements: What they do and why your business may need one.
- Invoicing: What you need to include to ensure your invoices are enforceable.
- Intellectual Property: Using copyrights, trademarks, and patents to protect your brand and information.
- Hiring Employees and Contractors: The critical differences between employees and contractors.
- Small Claims Litigation: Where to go to enforce your contracts when necessary.
- Entering into a Commercial Lease: The critical terms and provisions to consider before entering a lease.
- Legal Resources: Helpful resources to learn more about legal issues for small businesses.
Once you have completed this seminar, we will have taken the mystery out of legal issues and will have provided practical solutions to directly implement towards your business.
Derek and Shane are co-founders of Founded, a digital legal platform that makes it easy and affordable for entrepreneurs to start and run their business with confidence. The digital platform automates legal services, from professionally incorporating a business to creating tailored legal agreements and managing shares.
Derek is a lawyer and entrepreneur who thrives on helping entrepreneurs succeed. As a lawyer, Derek has helped hundreds of small and mid-sized businesses get launched and has advised them through all stages of growth. Derek has previously held director positions in several non-profit organizations, including the role of Executive Director at a 250-person legal clinic. Derek received his law degree from the University of Alberta.
A lawyer and entrepreneur with deep experience in business law, Shane has helped hundreds of companies through the incorporation process and set them on the path towards growth and investment. With Founded, Shane works to embed this legal knowledge into innovative technology. Shane regularly speaks to groups of business owners and lawyers about the integration of law and technology. He holds two law degrees from McGill University and a master’s degree from the London School of Economics.
NOTE: Refunds and/or transfers not allowed. All sales final.
If you require accommodation, please notify us by email at least 4 weeks before the event date at firstname.lastname@example.org
To cancel the accommodation, we require 5 business days’ notice before the event date.