- This event has passed.
BOLD: A Step Forward
August 16, 2018 @ 6:00 pm - 9:30 pm$15 - $20
Bold: A Step Forward aims to bring together students, faculty, policy-makers and industry experts for a design jam to articulate and annotate actionable solutions on how colleges and universities can stay ahead of the curve to prepare students for the future of work.
Our Wave and Sheridan College will host the design jam* as part of the three event series #TheFutureOf.
*A design jam is a collaborative brainstorming activity or event, geared towards generating solutions in a fun and creative environment.
Jake Hirsch-Allen, Economic Graph and Learning Solutions for Higher Education Lead, LinkedIn Canada
Michelle Chretien, Director, Centre for Advanced Manufacturing and Design Technologies (CAMDT), Sheridan College
Catherine Hale, Director, Creative Campus Planning, Sheridan College
Elijah Williams, Manager, Centre for Indigenous Learning, Sheridan College
Renee Devereaux, Manager, Entrepreneurship and Changemaking, Sheridan College
Dan (Vahid) Mashatan, Principal Investigator for Robotic and Commercial Drone Research and Professor of Mechatronics, Sheridan College
TOPICS OF DISCUSSION:
- Health, wellbeing and strong communities
- Intercultural understanding/surviving in a Global Marketplace
- Equity and Inclusion
- Next Gen Technologies
- Research and Innovation
- Work-integrated Learning
WHY ATTEND THE EVENT?
- Connect with the entrepreneurs from the Canadian innovation corridor
- Networking opportunities with industry representatives
- Active participation in shaping action around preparing for the future of work
6:00pm – 6:15pm: Welcome & Opening Remarks
6:15pm – 6:45pm: Expert Pitches – 3-5 min pitches from table facilitators. Moderated by emcee/facilitator
6:45pm – 7:05pm: First round of breakout table discussion
7:05pm – 7:15pm: Break
7:15pm – 7:35pm: Second round of breakout table discussion
7:35pm – 7:45pm: Break
7:45pm – 8:05pm: Third round of breakout table discussion
8:05pm – 8:30pm: Experts report back – facilitated two way discussion
8:30pm – 8:45pm: Next Steps & Closing Comments
8:45pm – 9.30pm: Open Networking
- We aim to start the conversation around the impact & potential impact that AI, Automation and Robotics will have on the future of work. The automation potential across industries is only getting higher, which leaves us to think that the question is not how we avoid this change, but how best we prepare for it.
- According to the McKinsey Global Institute report, A Future that Works: Automation, Employment and Productivity,about half the activities people are paid to do, almost $15 trillion in wages in the global economy have the potential to be automated by adapting currently demonstrated technology, according to their analysis of more than 2000 work activities across 800 occupations.
- Want to connect before the event? Check out our website at ourwavehub.com or give us a shout on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook @ourwavehub
- Disclaimer: If you are unable to attend the event for the reason that the ticket prices are not affordable, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our very best to get you out to the event!