To celebrate the entrepreneurial spirit of young Canadians, Enactus Canada runs the Student Entrepreneur National Competition, proudly presented by HSBC Bank Canada. The Student Entrepreneur National Competition enhances the success of full-time students operating businesses, who are creating jobs and advancing the Canadian economy.
This past year alone, Enactus Canada student entrepreneurs and their business ventures have employed 195 people and generated over $3 million in revenue.
Every year, student entrepreneurs present their businesses to panels of Canada’s industry leaders in national competitions in order to be named Student Entrepreneur National Champion.
STUDENT ENTREPRENEUR NATIONAL COMPETITION
The Student Entrepreneur National Competition is the only national competition to focus solely on full-time Canadian post-secondary student entrepreneurs. Since 1997, this competition has celebrated the commitment, determination and achievements of full time students enrolled in a Canadian university or college who are simultaneously operating their own businesses. Participating student entrepreneurs present their businesses to panels of Canada’s business leaders in regional and national competitions, in order to be named Student Entrepreneur National Champion.
To be eligible for the award, students and their businesses must meet the following criteria:
- Be a full-time undergraduate and/or graduate student at a Canadian post-secondary academic institution for the current academic year
- Be a founder and have at least 25% ownership of the company with no other individual or group with greater ownership
- Be the individual primarily responsible for the business’ day-to-day operations
- Have not been a previous National Champion of this competition or competed in the final round of this competition in the previous school year
Nomination and Application Process:
- In the fall of every year, nominations for the Student Entrepreneur National Competition are accepted through an online nomination process
- Upon nomination, nominees receive an application directly from Enactus Canada staff via email
- Nominees have until December 6th 2019 to submit their completed application to Enactus Canada
Opening Round of Competition:
- Nominees are asked to submit a written application outlining their company and their experience as an entrepreneur
- Nominees have the opportunity to attach a short video pitch to supplement their application
- Judges review applications and select the top 12 finalists
- The 12 finalists go on to compete at the Enactus Canada National Exposition, in a live multi-round competition. They will be grouped in 3 opening round leagues, with the winner of each league moving on to the Final Round of Competition
Final Round of Competition:
- Also taking place at the Enactus Canada National Exposition, the top 3 finalists will present their ventures to a panel of executives
- Judges will determine the Student Entrepreneur National Champion
Additional details can be found in the 2019-2020 Student Entrepreneur National Competition Handbook.
PRIZES AND MEDIA COVERAGE
- Finalists will receive complimentary lodging and travel to attend the Enactus Canada National Exposition
- The Student Entrepreneur National Champion will receive a $10,000 cash prize
- The Student Entrepreneur National Runner-Up will receive a $4,000 cash prize
- The Student Entrepreneur National Second Runner-Up will receive a $2,000 cash prize
- Enactus Canada pursues local and national media coverage for each finalist and national champion
Please note that the deadline to nominate a Student Entrepreneur is November 22nd 2019.
CONTACT startGBC for Nomination