City of Toronto Volunteer Opportunity – Jan 2017
The following volunteer opportunity (for those ages 18-24) with the City of Toronto’s Community Development Unit (Enhanced Youth Spaces) may be of interest to you:
Work with the city’s Funding and Partnership Advisory Committee and learn about the following in a practical and hands-on way.
The Funding & Partnership Advisory committee is expected to learn the very useful skill of grant writing, grant proposals, progress report preparation, and strategic partnerships. They will then, use their skills and knowledge to seek out appropriate grants for the Youth Spaces, programs and events.
This is a unique program being offered for the first time at the City of Toronto within the Community Development. Participants can expect to learn:
• Grant writing
• Preparing Progress Reports
• Strategic corporate and community partnerships
• Budgeting within non for profit sectors
• Marketing/Special events (understanding different marketing tools used within the non for profit sector)
• Community outreach
• Working with underserved equity groups
• Learning how to do participatory fundraising
• Learning political communication (Specifically with City Councillors, the Mayor)
• Participants will be prepared for specific jobs with City of Toronto they can also network with our partner agencies including East Metro Youth Services, Lead in Mental Health, Native Child and Family Services of Toronto and LAMP Health Centre
• Participants will have a chance to meet Councillors and communicate their program progress in a presentation style
• Participants will learn how to conduct a needs assessment, primary research and different evaluation methods which will essentially help them understand the needs of the community
We take 20 participants per cohort on a first come first serve basis.
- Twice a month meetings on Tuesdays at 6:30pm-8:30pm (monthly meetings total up to 4 to 5 hours all together) starting February 16, 2017 at City Hall
- Duration: 24 sessions (over one year)
- NO FEE: this program is offered FREE of charge!
This program is very hands on and practical so participants can understand field work with underserved equity groups, make connections and become career ready!
Please e-mail Azar.Allasfirstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions and/or would like to apply. Include your contact information and we will get back to you.
The position has been filled!